Re: [MV] sand blasting

From: Travis S. (tls2771@attbi.com)
Date: Sat Mar 30 2002 - 16:06:17 PST

 I agree with Mike, I spent $500.00 on a 60 gallon, 220v, twin cylinder, 7
hp upright Craftsman compressor with sandblasting in mind but it doesn't
push nearly enough air to do good blasting. After internet research I found
that most proffessional blasting suppliers recommend a minimum 26-28 cfm for
a real sandblaster ( not a little siphon toy like I bought). My compressor
is only capable of pushing 9.9 cfm @ 90psi and you don't get good results
till your up around 120 psi anyway's. It's a good setup for a cabinet
blaster and I love it when I'm using my orbital sander or jitterbug but for
real sandblasting work it doesn't cut it. By the way I've heard bad things
about using silica sand ( beach sand), good way to get silicosis. They say
that commercial crushed glass doesn't contain the same silicates and is
safer and has better abrasive quality's although it's more expensive.

Travis