Re: [MV] Help with Welding

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 09:42:44 PDT

Chris,
    I would get an inexpensive book and read it to get familiar with the
basics. The manual that comes with the welder usually has some information,
too.
    I am not a pro, so take this advice as my own opinion. This advice is
more geared to wire feed welding than it is to stick welding.
1) Buy a good machine
2) PRACTICE A LOT on scrap metals of various sizes (there's no substitute).
It helps you learn what settings to use for what metals (wire speed, hand
speed, how much pressure the machine should feed the wire with, etc...)
3) Always keep the ground clamp close to the weld location
4) Always thoroughly clean the metal of all paint, rust, etc.. before
welding. Also clean the grounding location. This cannot be stressed enough.
I am still occasionally guilty of laziness here and it leads to poor welds
that must be ground off and done again
5) Use the correct wire/stick for the metal being welded
6) Purchase an auto-darkening helmet. The fixed shade versions are not
terribly expensive and are worth every penny when you are a novice.

    Another tip: Wear long sleeves and pants. Slag burns like hell and the
sunburn from a welding arc is wicked and occurs quickly.

    Have fun,
        Neil