Re: [MV] Dissimilar metals ??

From: Jay (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon Apr 22 2002 - 07:48:19 PDT

As far as putting aluminum coating on steel, I'm working with a guy who
builds an arc spray welder that can do that and a lot more. It takes a
twin wire feed and uses the wire tips to make an arc, and then basically
uses a plasma cutter-type arrangement to spray the molten metal onto a
part. It can be used for repairing spun bearing damage on axles,
rebuilding worn metal damage, zinc-coating steel to prevent it from
rusting, filling in rust or bullet perforation damage without having to
weld in patch panels, create low-cost production quality molds for
plastic parts or seat foam, and a LOT of other uses, both for
restoration and industrial. It can spray aluminum, zinc, steel, nickel,
copper, etc. and will bond to a HUGE variety of materials. I can see
where someone either running a restoration shop or a museum shop would
find one of these to be worth its weight in gold when working with
something that replacements for worn-out parts just aren't available any
more. The complete set-up runs about $7,000 with the power supply. If
anyone is interested in getting more information about one of these,
please e-mail me off-list at dagobert@ix.netcom.com or call me at (615)
596-7217 and I can send you some more information, and perhaps arrange a
demo by the manufactuer.

Jay Travis