Re: [MV] Dissimilar metals ??

From: Eric Kozowski (eric@kozowski.com)
Date: Fri Apr 19 2002 - 21:25:21 PDT

On Fri, Apr 19, 2002 at 08:50:24PM -0700, Jarrett Redd wrote:
> Hi guys... What's the word on bolting dissimilar metals together? I know
> copper and steel don't like each other much. What about aluminum and steel? I
> have some steel brackets to bolt onto the aluminum body of my M998. Is this
> going to be a problem? They are both painted, but I don't want a
> galvanic/welding/oxidation response where the bolts pass through. Do I need to
> insulate the bolts?

Yes, keep aluminum and steel insualted from each other. Paint and various types
of caulking/sealants work well for this. Stainless steel bolts are best.

> What about welding aluminum and steel? Other than being a
> bit tricky to balance the heat input, any longer term corrosion/etc effects?

It's not possible to weld steel to aluminum (or vise versa). There are some
specialty products( DuPont Detaclad) that can be used to join steel and aluminum
by welding.

--
Eric Kozowski
Joseph, OR