Re: [MV] Gillespie Paint & Synthol

From: Allen Jones (jonesal@u.washington.edu)
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 08:12:37 PDT

I used Synthol and a hardner with the Gillespie product (enamel) on my
M38A1. However, I used a Dupont enamel hardner verses the Martin Senour.
The ratio I used was just about what you used, but probably more 8 paint, 1
hardner, 3 to 3.5 reducer. I use how the paint falls off the mixing stick
as to how much to reduce. This will of course depend if you are using
gravity or siphon, HVLP, etc.

Yes, some folks have said the hardner will add luster. However, for
comparison, look at http://students.washington.edu/jonesal/jeep.html. The
first few pics are under florescent lights very close after painting. The
last two are under sun light after the paint had cured for months. Makes a
big difference so don't panic after you apply the paint. Mine calmed down
nicely.

Based on my experience, if you do not use hardener, you run the chance on
wrinkling if you have to make spot repairs. I also painted some of the
parts without hardner and feel that the hardened paint is indeed much more
durable.

My biggest suggestion: use a high quality primer to get maximum adhesion
prior to applying the top coat . On one fender, I used a "suspect" primer
and can see the topcoat lifting on a concave radius. This results from the
Gillespie product having some pretty high shrinkage during flashing and
curing. I don't know if it is caused by the Synthol, hardner, or my
application methods. Fortunately, this is the only problem I have seen
after 2years. The paint has otherwise performed excellent.

Lastly, I think it really depends if you are doing a true restoration, or if
you're looking for durability and longevity. I think you can tell from the
pics I'm in the latter category.

Good luck and have fun!

Allen in Seattle
'55 M38A1