Re: [MV] GL

From: wwd@netheaven.com
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 07:59:06 PDT

> there is a lot of wrong information [possibly]
>on the Form 97. If the serial does not match the serial on the frame when
>the DMV person does the VIN verification that will be a problem. Some
>times the frame serial numbers have so much paint it is hard to see.

Bring your own sharp chisel and scrape VIN on chassis down to clean and
readable. I would think bidders would have the right to see clean VIN, no?

> Not all the trucks that I have bought through DRMO had data plates.

??? But that would give you carte blanche to fill in the 'correct' data.

> The book
>(the ones that exist only behind the counter that they ponder over and
>wisper with their supervior about) at DMV states that all ex-military
>vehicles are required to have a Form 97. I had a CHP do a VIN
>verification for me on a truck that the speedometer was missing. When I
>took it to DMV, the lady said taht I needed a mileage. I told here that
>the speedometer was missing and I have to find a replacement. She stated
>"I still need a mileage" I explained to her that it was irrelevant due
>that the fact that the mileage on the speedometer that I was going to put
>in was not going to be refective of the vehicles acutual miles. That is
>when she took her red pen and marked through the blank where the mileage
>was suppose to go and handed the form to me and said to have it done
>over.

Always take an opportunity to provide more data as a personal challenge.
No one ever got arrested for 'full disclosure'. I'm fond of the number
38,753, and it would be comfortably within the bell-curve for MVs.

>At that point I wished I had looked at the form closer prior to
>going in and put in an abitrary number in the blank. Maybe she felt she
>was going to get an award that week for being a royal pain. She had my
>vote. I have been real lucky with get correct and corrected F97's from
>DRMO even after the truck has left the base. I usually had to call the
>base and tell then the problem. I would then photo copy the data plate
>and send back the wrong F97 and then the correct one would arrive.

Sounds like a good backup system. 3 cheers for the GL.

> It
>sounds like GL is only giving the buyer one shot at it. If it is wrong,
>too bad. But, I believe that they should have an obligation to get the
>paper work correctly. I know it would be hard to do, but buyers can
>always boycott. Just don't buy the trucks.... Buyers set the price on
>auctions.

But the laws of entropy and momentum conspire against that ever happening.
US workers would be 100% unionized, the UN would solve war, hunger &
religious strife, my shorts would never bunch up . . .

>John Souza
>MVPA #2697
>Fresno, CA

FWIW,