New truck tax for California

From: JaxInCalifornia@aol.com
Date: Wed May 15 2002 - 09:27:02 PDT

For those of who live in California, bend over, the state legislature is
proposing a specific tax targeting large vehicles from SUV's, PU's on up the
line to big green things.

They also have proposed additional increased DMV fees over and above the "big
vehicle" tax and if this was not enough, they proposed yet another wacky .02
a mile tax on vehicles they consider too large.

So now we have three possible tax hikes in the making. The governor proposed
the 3rd increase in panic today, trying to make up the for the $23 billion in
gross overspending he and his pals did to us. Would be nice if we saw the
results of that wild spending, but it's almost invisible... but that's
another issue.

Cal Worthington, well known California car dealer, is running ads
representing Calif. car dealerships and asking CA voters to petition their
legislators to not target SUV's and trucks with more DMV taxes. The proposed
democrat-sponsored legislation will seriously impact consumers choice and
hurt the industry... according to Cal. It's estimated that $4,000,000,000
(that's 4 billion folks) in new taxes will be placed on the backs of those
who pay DMV fees, the bulk of it coming from the large vehicle owners.

The irony is we just repealed a massive car tax just 2 years ago because it
made our DMV fees the highest in the nation and was forcing consumers to make
out of state purchases. It was hurting our economy and now here we go again!
 Road tax on commercial trucks is already horrendous and by 2003 it will have
increased 26% under the new rules. This is really going to hurt truckers and
in a lesser way those who big green trucks, that don't qualify for break via
the historic vehicle lic plate.

Taxes, taxes, taxes, this is why we love California and our Commissars who
control the governship, the assembly and the senate!