Re: [G104] Re: Sherman DD recovery in Italy

From: Hanno Spoelstra (HL.Spoelstra@inter.NL.net)
Date: Tue May 21 2002 - 08:21:36 PDT

At 07:07 AM 5/21/2002 -0700, Geoff Winnington-Ball wrote:
>Morning all,
>
>Here's a poser for you then... in the movie THE LONGEST DAY,
>there's a brief scene on the British beach during which a DD
>Sherman roars by in the background with its flotation canvas
>collapsed & stowed. I honestly can't remember what model of Sherman
>that was, and I'm at work so I can't put on the video to see...
>:-)
>
>Any idea which tank that was, was it original, did it survive,
>and could it be your No. 5 or No. 7?

Hi Geoff,

Indeed, as far as I know the M4A1(76)W DD at the Musée des Blindes, SAUMUR,
France (No.7) was used in the filming of THE LONGEST DAY. I think it is not
original as I have not seen information about M4A1(76)W Shermans being
converted into Duplex Drive tanks. Therefore I think it must be a film prop.
If anyone can confirm this, please let us know!

Regards,
Hanno