M35 brake advise needed TONIGHT

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 18:42:35 PDT

Hello again. I just crawled out from under my M35 and here is my question.
It takes a great deal of effort to stop my truck. The pedal does not bottom
out, it just takes all the effort I can muster to stop. I suspect the air
assist is not working properly. Here's what I have checked. The thing I
have concluded is the air assist has hydraulic parts at the front and what I
believe to be a air cylinder at the rear. It has a air valve on the side
with 3 lines attached to it. I unhooked the line going to the rear of the
alleged air cylinder from this valve. I assumed it would put air on the
assumed cylinder when I pressed the brakes (if this valve is working). I
cranked the truck and let the air build up. I cut the truck off so I could
hear. I pressed the brake pedal and air came out of the lose line. A lot
of air cam out of the loose line.

Do I need to replace this air cylinder. I called Memphis trucks today and
ordered some oil filters. The guy there told me the air assist is $350 for
a rebuild one, with exchange. A kit to rebuild it is $50 but he said it is
hard to do and I would be wasting $50. I anyone would care to advise me, is
the thing really that hard to rebuild. Do I need to replace the cylinder or
could it still be something else. If I need a cylinder I would like to call
and have it put in with my filters in the morning.

Thanks, Joe Trapp.