Re: [MV] Prop Shaft

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Thu Jun 13 2002 - 21:08:46 PDT

Hi Jon

> I can't believe he would have taken the shaft apart like that. You normally
> take both ends off and leave the slip spline alone.

To be fair, he called me 3 or 4 times while picking the truck up, asking
questions to try to avoid any damage to the drive train. As I don't know
anyone whom I can call with spur of the moment questions about old Deuce's,
and my limited experiences are almost 25 years past, we guessed our way
through it. I finally had to give the ok to tow it here or give up for now
so chose to move it, about 5 miles to my home..

I'm curious why putting the tranny and transfer case in neutral didn't
disconnect the wheels? He put the transmission in neutral, then the
transfer case, then moved the vehicle with the front wheels suspended...
the front wheels started rotating with the rate of the truck
movement. Shouldn't placing the boxes in neutral have worked? My thought
was a 5 mile tow at no more than 35 mph would not hurt anything if the
truck were in neutral. ?

> As to a trick, the only thing I would
> suggest, which is what I would do in your situation, is to remove the
entire
> shaft from the companion flanges, both ends that is

! Logical. I see what you mean, and have been trying to keep it aligned
in three dimensions while getting it to go in. Once my neck muscles
recover I'll have another shot at it.

thanks for the response.

     Paul