Re: [MV] Greases, Oils

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sun Jun 16 2002 - 06:55:22 PDT

> In reference to the drive shaft, some slip and stub yokes are splined in
such
> a way as to keep the ujoints in phase. I have come across a few that could
> be forced together in the wrong position. They usually have one tooth of
the
> spline wider than the rest. In the case of the '53, it might be worn enough
> to allow you to slip it together a certain distance.

it had one spline which was about a quarter inch wide, as opposed to the
rest which were 1/4 that width. Once I have it clean I should be able to
check for any obstacles... it seems to me the grease itself or some foreign
objects in the grease might be the cause. I was unsure how much I should
have to 'force' it, and the list says not much, so it's time to dig further.

There is a seal in the screw cap on the shaft itself: I'd like to replace
it as long as I'm mucking about there. This brings up a general question
I've had for years:
Where do you go for parts? Bulbs, wheel bearings, etc. I see members
talking about parts all the time, but most are specialty items like cab
covers, black out lights... what about every day maintenance items?
Or does it break down to an auto parts store for some, Truck parts store
for some, and list for some and with time I'll figure out where to look?

I've got to call those folks I ordered the TM's on CD from: I'm feeling a
little silly calling most everything I take off the truck the
'thingamaboppie' <g>

Thanks to all for your help!

            Paul