Re: [MV] Greases, Oils

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Sat Jun 15 2002 - 21:50:13 PDT

Paul,

>... As I had to tap
>the two halves together with a wood block and hammer to get it THAT far...
>I'm thinking of buying a parts washer ( I'll need one anyway ) and cleaning
>both the yoke an sleeve completely, then assembling them and greasing the
>unit. Without any grease hopefully they will glide together, as tho meant
>for each other

There is something wrong here guy, slip splines should slide freely in and
out, especially if the seal and cap are not screwed on yet. Try assembling
it 180 degrees from what you have. Also study the spline very carefully for
any dings or nicks. Once you have degreased it, which you can do with spray
cans of brake cleaner if you have no other option, you can swipe the splines
with a black magic marker then try to assemble till it binds, then take
apart and the black will be worn off at the location of interference, most
likely a burr or ding or something like that which you can take care of with
a file or some medium cloth backed sand paper, of course after either of the
above you should flush with more brake cleaner (or whatever your using)
prior to any reassembly.

>1: Do all fittings for a grease gun on a 1953 Deuce use the same
>grease? What is/are it/they called? I need to pick
> up a/some guns and grease.

I use Mobil AW2, pretty blue colored stuff, on everything.

>2: Presuming completely cleaning the yoke/sleeve allows me to push them
>together, should I then leave the
> collar off and pump grease into the sleeve, waiting until I see it
>oozing between splines before trying to
> screw the collar back on?

Not a bad idea, but after it's installed back in the truck, with the collar
on, then fill it with grease again, it should squirt out a small hole in the
end of the yoke.

> As I have had trouble getting the yoke and
>sleeve to slide together I wonder
> if there is any clearance in there for grease to move rearward from
>the grease fitting?

It should grease without trouble.

good luck,

je