Re: [MV] M715 Fuel tank

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Thu Jun 20 2002 - 19:27:42 PDT

> > Also how does one clean up a tank?
> >
> > Glen C. Bedel
> >
> I have never used muratic acid on a fuel tank, but Brick masons used it at
one time to clean new brick work. I was always amazed at how they would
spray the stuff on with out goggle or respirators. I have used it a couple
of times to clean the scale off of new steel. I found that to be too much
trouble, now I just paint over the scale.

As for pin holes in a tank, I have used soft solder (50/50 or 95/5) to patch
holes in a couple of tanks. If it is clean and you use flux, it sticks very
well even to galvanized. I have brazed a bunch of diesel tanks on trucks
that crack or get holes rubbed in them. The brazing burns off the
galvanized coating which is way on my cars I used the solder.

To prevent an explosion on gas tanks I always fill the tanks with water to
remove any liquid, pour out the water, and then I purge the tanks with
nitrogen while I am soldering. Nitrogen replaces the oxygen and thus the
danger of explosion. So far so good.

I can solder about anything. If you can't, a hole is not a good thing to
learn on. The solder tends to drip thru. Good luck (with fuel tanks you
need it), Joe.