Re: [MV] M715 Fuel tank

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Jun 19 2002 - 15:04:57 PDT

> Also how does one clean up a tank?
>
> Glen C. Bedel

Well here's a story for ya. It has a sad ending, so if you cry easily,
don't read any farther.

I had a 61 ford falcon that had sat for several years. The tank was very
rusty on the inside. I took a trailer axle and tied the tank to the tire.
I jacked up the axle and put a serpentine belt around the tire and the 5/8
shaft of a small electric motor. I put about a gallon of small pea gravel
in the tank and as much water as it would hold. I cut on the motor and
watched the tank turn at a few rpms with the tire. It polished the inside
of the tank real nice as the gravel and water tumble around in the tank.

Here's the sad ending. The tank was apparently mostly rust so when I
cleaned it up and filled it with water, it leaked. It was full of little
pin holes. I don't know for sure if the gravel poked the holes or if they
where there filled with rust all along. I think the holes were there and
the tank wasn't any good anyway.

I don't know if I would try that again, but it sure cleaned the rust out.

Joe Trapp
67 Kaiser M35