Re: [MV] Master Cyl Lid

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Sun Jun 23 2002 - 12:40:02 PDT

If the brakes still function, no damage was done. The purpose of the vent
hole in the correct lid is to allow air to enter the master cylinder as the
brakes are used. Also, as the brake linings wear, more fluid remains in the
slave cylinders, meaning more air will be sucked into the master cylinder
over time. You do need to replace the plastic shipping lid with the correct
vented metal lid before a problem arises. If it has not been removed for
years, your brake fluid is probably low. After you forcibly remove the
plastic lid, suck everything out of the master cylinder. I use a turkey
baster with a piece of heat shrink tubing as an extension. If the plastic
lid falls apart, make sure that you get all of the pieces out before
refilling the master cylinder. It is a terribly fiddly job. Chewing gum on a
screwdriver works for me!
Good luck,
-Sarge