Re: [MV] Fw: Basic M35 info- Now Silicone vs regular fluid

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Tue Jul 09 2002 - 14:41:24 PDT

> Is your comparison valid? The brake system on a deuce is not really sealed.
> It has a vent, open to atmosphere. I would assume that both moisture and
> oxygen enter the system at that point.

Question: my understanding is that the vent tube on top of the master
cylinder is not needed. It is there primarily to allow for venting when
fording water (??? why wouldn't a closed system do then? ) The new
master cylinder I just ordered does not have a vent opening in the metal
screw top... I plan to operate it that way unless I learn it might
jeopardize the brake system's integrity. With a sealed system like this,
how might water get into it and cause corrosion? If a wheel cylinder fails
and leaks that will normally be caught fairly quickly: flush the system
after rebuilding the wheel cylinder and you're back to tight integrity.

?

     Paul