Re: [MV] No More BDU's....!

From: bolton8@juno.com
Date: Sat Jul 27 2002 - 08:33:25 PDT

> > I remember a few months ago GL was talking about possible future
> demil requirements on textiles and stopped selling surplus clothing.
> What could the possible reasoning be for demil requirements on
textiles?

MIL-VEH MEMBERS,
                Everyone remembers quite vividly the problems we had in the summer of
2000 and 2001 concerning the Demilitarization of Significant Military
Equipment. I have been checking the government web site regularly to
see if this demil attachment has been quietly inserted into the FY 2003
Defense Budget. To the best of my knowledge it has not.

                It is my belief that the 'powers that be' two summers ago tried the
top/down approach to demilitarize us of our privately owned property.
Eliminate the heavy stuff first, then move down to the web gear. The
massive ground swell of resistance that erupted from the MVPA, Vintage
Aircraft Collectors, and the NRA gave them pause to rethink their tactics
in this midterm election year.

                It is my educated guess that the 'powers that be' are trying a
bottom/up approach to demilitarize the civilian population. Seriously,
with the mail order catalogs filled with mil-spec BDU's and field gear
readily available, how many outraged letters and FAX's will get sent to
our elected representatives protesting the destruction of taxpayer
financed BDU's, ALICE gear, and jump boots ?

                When the demilitarization of web gear legislation has been in place for
eighteen months, the liberal media can then pressure Congress to close
the loophole that allows "M16 spare parts; PRC-77's; and global
positioning units from falling into terrorist's hands". The next
loophole to close would be the destruction of NOS distributor caps;
wiring harness; generators and starters . By this time there is no need
to legislate Demil of S.M.E., for with the unavailability of replacement
engine parts your M35 or M151 wouldn't be leaving the driveway anyway.

                Anyone believe our benevolent government wouldn't try such a thing ??

LANCE
MVPA 22125