DC Shelter plug

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Jul 31 2002 - 20:40:16 PDT

I posted a message about looking for a DC plug for an S-250 shelter,
specifically one that came off a humve. I had no replies other than some
other people also looking for one. I had wondered about converting the AC
plug to a DC one since the AC ones seem to be plentiful, they are the same
other than one is keyed 45 degrees off from the other. Today I did it, very
simple. If your interested read on, if not, move on.

Take off the back shell (cable clamp) take off the backshell extender, slide
all that stuff down the cable. Hold the plug in your hand and poke a 5/32 or
3/16 pin punch down into each socket and wack it out with a hammer. Pin "B"
isn't used but take it out anyway. Then take a suitable round object and
wack the center rubber insert out in the same direction (I drove it out
forward and damaged the lip at the back a little). Unlike the circular mil
connectors (what we used to call them, some people call them cannon
connectors), the pins in these are not captive mechanically and thus no
special extraction tool is needed. Like wise with the center rubber, a lip
keeps it in but only rubber type cement keeps its rotational position fixed,
there is no key.

So, goop up the outside of the rubber with Pliobond or something similar and
shove it right back in but rotate it 45 deg. The key slot in the shell must
be between pins "A" and "D", might help to actually check it on the
receptacle to make sure you got it right. Let that dry awhile than stick the
pins back in, pin "A" is the 28+ (I used the black wire) and pins "C" and
"D" are the 28- & gound (I used white and green).

One little hint, to get the back shell stuff off, and to tighten it back up,
put the plug into the applicable receptacle to hold it.

good luck,

je