Re: [MV] 1943 Vultee BT13B VU

From: John K. Seidts (john@astory.com)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 19:37:27 PDT

WOW! Thanks for all the encouraging words of support. I will answer some
questions.

1. I am planning to restore it to flying condition. It has been my dream
since I was 10 to have a Warbird, and since I was 17 or so, a BT13. Since
almost all WWII pilots flew the BT13 in WWII, I think it is one of the most
important aircraft around. It is also affordable to take people up to fly
and experience Heaven behind a round engine. I am finishing up my private
pilot's license and plan to fly this aircraft one day.

2. It is on public display at my museum, and all are welcome to stop by and
look at it along with our other displays. We are located at Essex Skypark
near Baltimore MD. Right now, we are restoring a 1942 B24D Liberator Tail
Turret. We can use volunteers (HINT, HINT).

3. It is called Project 79 because 79 was the number designation for
BT-13B's by Vultee.

4. The reason the wings and tail are off the aircraft is that they rotted
off. To conserve aluminum in WWII, all the later BT13's had wooden tails
and outer wing panels. This aircraft sat in the field in the first few
photos since the early 1960's.

I will post updates here on the list as time permits. Right now, we are
disassembling the main landing gear to make the wing center section easier
to move around. It is the first component to be restored.