Re: [MV] M35 turbo or not to turbo

From: Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT (N8QLT@arrl.net)
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 09:02:22 PDT

>Anything I should know about driving one of these babies on the interstate
for 10 hours?
-----

As everyone else has already mentioned, wear ear protection. I wear ear
plugs, and then headphone-style protectors over them. You will still hear
the engine and turbo, but it's cut to a manageable level for your 10-hour
trip.

Most everyone else has mentioned the list of tools and supplies- but here
are some other things I think you should bring or do(from experience on a
3-day trip back from Joe Young's in NJ to Michigan).

Aspirin or your favorite pain killer for the headache. If you're a tall guy
like me (6' 4"), you should also make SURE you have got the seat adjusted
for your frame the best way you can before you get on the road. Crank up the
shock absorber to its stiffest, make sure the seat back and tilt angle of
the bottom cushion are the best they can be. These trucks were not designed
to be driven by guys my size.

Once out on the highway, see if you can use your left foot on the
accelerator. On long trips, over an hour, the cramped position of my right
leg on the throttle causes cramps and knee stiffness. I learned to stretch
out my right leg into the passenger area and keep the speed up using the
left foot. Only do this on flat, straight road sections with light traffic,
though.

It's still hot around here, and you'll find the cab of that truck in summer
temperatures will get really hot and uncomfortable. Bring plenty of water or
hydrating liquids. A 20 oz water bottle wedges nicely between the two seat
cushions.

Stop at every rest area or service plaza. It will give you a regular break
to walk around and get those sweaty, head crushing headphones and ear plugs
out, let you check your hearing and patrol for leaks or other problems and
determine how accurate your fuel gauge is. Also, if you have troop seats,
make sure you check and tighten all the hardware that holds them together-
the vibrations tends to loosen everything up back there, and you might find
your seats falling apart. And let that turbo idle down for about 5 minutes
before you shut the truck down, especially after pushing it out on the
highway.

I only drive about 2300 RPM, as one other guy has mentioned. That's about
52-55 in my truck. The truck can go all day long at that speed, and I get
about 10 mpg (no canvas) to 8 mpg (full canvas).

As others have said, drive with the lights on. If you fall below 45 MPH on
an interstate, use the flashers. Be aware that you don't have rear flashers
if you have the brake applied (like when stopped).

Make sure the tailgate chains are secure. I have driven over some sections
of road that would just be small bumps in my other trucks, but are
significant jolts in a Deuce. One time I had the tailgate chains go flying
off on a bump like that- luckily I coasted to a stop and got to the tailgate
before it slammed down. I use two of those short rubber tie downs with hooks
to secure to the chain where it hangs the lowest, connecting to the
underside of the bed. This will keep your chains tight and secure.

At least along my route (New Jersey, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan)
I didn't stop at any weigh stations. They didn't give me a second look- I
was an Army truck to them, and besides, I'm a private vehicle (though Iowa
seems to want even private vehicles over 7,000 to stop). Big discussions
have occurred on this board on this subject.

Make sure you know how to operate the wipers, and that they are good and
work. If you get caught in a heavy rain, you don't want to be looking for
how to turn them on, or trying to figure out how much to turn that knob.
Thank goodness Joe made sure I knew how to get mine turned on and adjusted
that beautiful sunny afternoon in southern New Jersey, because I ran into
sever thunderstorms later that evening around Philadelphia.

Also, speaking of rain, I don't know about the rest of you guys, but when
I'm driving an empty Deuce in the rain, I don't find the NDCC tires offer
much traction and confidence on a wet highway, especially when trying to
stop, or negotiate on/off ramps. My advice is to slow down, or stop
somewhere until the rain lets up. Also, you might want to Rain-X your
windshields before you leave, just in case. Only takes a couple minutes, and
makes seeing out those windshields easier in poor conditions.

Bring lots of cash for tolls, these trucks cost about three times what a car
costs on toll roads and bridges.

Have fun. That road trip in my Deuce was one of the most leisurely, fun and
memorable trips I have ever taken.

Rich

Rich Weinkauf, N8QLT
Cruise Missile Coordinates: 42d 28.05'N 083d 22.87'W
HummerID 97.5 Fly Yellow Wagon
1970 Kaiser-Jeep M35A2 ** MVPA #20486
Load Warrior Website http://www.m35a2.info
M35 Cool Stuff Site http://www.highprofilevehicles.com