Re: [MV] 'Electric armour' vaporizes anti-tank grenades and shell s

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Aug 25 2002 - 15:36:49 PDT

Hi Dave,

I agree that this electric armor, if it works correctly, isn't a total
solution. However, note that most of the possible ways to overcome it
are only used by... us and NATO :-) So if the bad guys don't have 'em,
then they can't overcome the armor.

From my conversations with contemporary tankers, they feel that their
most likely end would come in a built up area in the form of a 12 year
old armed with a $10 RPG rocket. If this armor can neutralize such a
threat, a rather significant threat will have been removed. Remember
that more and more the thinking is that the next big conflict will
involve more than just open desert and some rock outcroppings. And if
Bush has it his way, that next conflict could be just around the corner.

The key to survivability is having good all around defensive and
offensive capabilities. It has been know for a long time that in built
up areas our armor (light and heavy) is potentially vulnerable. And as
we move towards a lighter more mobile armored force, that vulnerability
could use a counter measure besides having a ton of infantry acting as a
shield. Especially because they are going to have their hands full with
their own set of problems.

Steve