[MV] M-715 brakes.

From: Ted Hintopoulos (hint@northnet.org)
Date: Thu Aug 29 2002 - 05:43:05 PDT

 I have totally redone
my brakes, including a new dual-piston master cylinder (purely for safety
reasons), and yet the brakes are totally unimpressive. Yes, the
truck stops, but I might as well stand on the brakes and make sure I have
lots of space. I almost always instead downshift and only use the
brakes in conjunction with engine compression. Any opinions?
TED

1. Make sure that the block that is on the anchor pin is pointed
in the right direction. There is a small arrow on it that is suppose to be
aimed
towards the front of the truck. Doesn't look like it would make much of a
diffrence
but it does help.
There was a PS tech bulletin out on that way back when.

2. More to the point; you don't have any self adjusters, so check the
adjusters often.
After the shoes start wearing, you get a max of surface contact against the
drums but
only if the adjusters are set; just short of wheel drag.

Don't do the adjustments; you'll find that all the shoe wear will be on the
top 1/2
and hence, the need for a REAL HEAVY FOOT on the pedal.

I recheck mine every 3000 miles when I rotate the rubber. Are the brakes
great, no.
They wouldn't snap your neck, but when maintained, they're OK.

Good luck,
The other Ted.