Re: [MV] Big Brother IS watching for sure!

From: Ryan M Gill (rmgill@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 09:52:08 PDT

At 7:07 AM -0700 9/6/02, Paul A. Thomas wrote:
> > This makes us safe how? I can't wait for the right case to drop
>into the EFF and ACLU's laps to get this terrible set of > laws
>(Patriot Act) declared unconstitutional. Give your money to the EFF
>folks. They do good work.
>
>Hear Hear.
>In time, things will swing back and then beyond as they have done to
>the right the past 20 years here in the states. Then back again.
>What astounds me is the media lack of desire to follow up on most
>issues dealing with personal rights VS governmental entities. It's
>like the 'Teflon' Ronald Regan had has somehow permeated the entire
>government. brrrrrrr!

The media patently ignores such things. When the CDA was being
bandied about it was barely a blip as a story except in a few
publications. Any of the Anti-Privacy/Anti-public-Encryption laws
were only covered in the technology press. COPA and COPA II were also
ignored by the press. Take a look through the ACLU's website. Look at
the EFF as well. The EFF has a better handle on some of this than the
ACLU does in some respects as they really focus on technology related
issues.

>A side thought: Companies are placing wording in their fine print
>stating they can change the terms of the contract down the road at
>any time, including revoking your license/ownership of whatever it
>is.

That's why you should read their privacy policies. They _do_ have to
stick to what their privacy policies say. According to an EFF speaker
at the meeting I was at this past weekend mentioned that at least one
company that had one thing in its privacy policy and changed it later
to allow for selling the previously undisclosed information was hit
with a solid lawsuit/charges by (iirc) the SEC which oversees such
things.

>Hopefully the courts will send them packing with a HUGE penalty but
>in the meantime people behave as if this were law. The Federal
>Government has more power than any corporation. What is to keep
>them from declaring Mutts and Deuces illegal and recovering them in
>5 years? As far as I can see, nothing save interested people ( MV?
>) whining and bitching at them when they cross the line. If nobody
>complains, they presume nobody cares and do whatever weird idea pops
>into their collective heads.
>
>If anyone wishes to trade thoughts on the RIAA please contact me off
>line: it pertains to personal rights instead of OD toys/tools.

True here. However I'm somewhat struck that the implications of the
encroachment of freedoms belongs on any list that could have it's
hobby impacted by the "change in the rules" that favors government's
ability to walk up, arrest you and ignore what you have to say. The
scary thing is that the Feds will start targeting MV owners as
potential Terrorists, with that word attached to the paperwork, much
of what doesn't work in prosecutorial discretion is now wide open and
legal (at current).

--
--
- Ryan Montieth Gill                         '01 Honda Insight -