Re: [MV] Who's Vehicle is it? (was: Big Brother IS watching for sure!)

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 23:46:34 PDT

 You have some valid points Jeff but in truth the military versions of the
Hummer( HMMWV) have never and will never receive DOT approval. How do I
know this I was told so by AMG I called and asked them.
Why you ask would I ask them because of investment protection and my
Insurance agent's reluctance to Insure a M1026.
I saw this as a formality I can tell you it is not so. I thought I could get
this from the state referee, but it is done by the manufacturers.
There is crash testing, electrical, lighting and little things like a padded
dash and interior that are not in the military hummers and a whole laundry
list that will keep the HWWMV from getting DOT approved but the biggest
reason it will never happen is that AMG will never do this it is expensive
and not needed to sell Tactical vehicles to the government.
I think from all the discussions I have heard over the last 25 years it is
always the manufacturers intent to keep there military vehicles off of the
public roads.
Even WW2 Jeeps and vehicles were given away (loaned) to other countries to
keep them off the market in the USA. I read some where that Willys was
working on the CJ and Agra Jeep and lobbied to keep the military Jeeps off
the market. I don't know if that's true but it makes economic sense.
Anyone know what the home built kit cars do for this DOT certificate they
operate on the public roads?
I know the Warbird owners have an experimental class to get around some of
these kind of problems?

Dave