Re: [MV] Who's Vehicle is it? (was: Big Brother IS watching for sure!)

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 06:37:18 PDT

> Since when does a seller of anything have any right, legally, to control
the
> use of something they sell to someone else?

Off topic but on topic regarding rights and owning/driving MVs...
It's a legal concept going WAAYYYY back. Your deed (sp?) for your home
probably has some restrictions in it. Common ones used to be no people of X
ethnic group, or Y religious belief. Or no horses, or no business's
running from the property. Mine has a number of them, placed on the
property by the land owner who sold to the developer in 1940. I thought
them totally un-enforceable, but was advised that unless a court has ruled
against a specific clause ( like barring blacks from owning the property )
then they are enforceable. At the time I dealt with law suits and
contracts all day, and the reasoning made some sense to me.
RE: Rights. IMSHO there are no god given rights. ( how many versions of
'god' are there? They do NOT agree on many things we call rights ) In the
US rights are what we choose them to be, by voting or the really really
rare amendment. Some fools feel they have a right to carry a machine gun
into KMart. In 50 years they may be right. Who knows?

        Paul