Re: [MV] Off Topic legal thread

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 18:11:57 PDT

As I couldn't remember, I passed the question about the Supreme Court and
it's ability to review the constitutionality of a law to my sister the
Chicago Lawyer <g>. I was off by 20 years on the high end, but yes, the
supreme court did NOT have that ability for the first 50 or so years of our
countries history, FWIW.

Paul

> That was around 1830. They decided they had the right to review laws to
see if they complied with the
> Constitution. The Court has never changed it's mind on that one.
> I note that is different from "making law" as all common-law courts make
law --- British courts have been > doing that since 1200. That's why it's
called common law, unlike the French system.