Re: [MV] M35 Cost?

From: opcom (opcom@vmsone.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 21:34:35 PDT

I'm going to try to paint a complete picture, going to tell exactly what
condition mine is in, after having and driving it for 6 months. if
anyone has any comments on any of the things i'm commenting on, please
feel free to sound off!!

I bought mine for $5000 including a new soft top, S280-like shelter and
tie down kit, and drove it from VA to TX with no issues. I drive it any
time I want, so you could consider it a daily driver.

The turbocharged non-whistler engine was replaced in 1993 and is like
new, with maybe 5000 miles on it, and the truck itself has 19000 miles
on it.

8 Tires are very good, two are fair with some cracking on the sidewalls.
spare is crappy but hold air.

Very minor surface rust underneath the bed here and there, nothing
damaging though.

The fuel injector pump has a very minor leak at the 'throttle' shaft
linkage

Loose wire to fuel guage on noticable on bumps, looking for it. Maybe
the connector under the hood?

Had to rebuild the radiator due to a leak (driving it from Dallas to
Austin and back in August seemed to have been a bit much for it).

Shift handle sometimes works loose from tapered stub on tranny. I
re-tighten it from time to time.

One windshield with very minor cracks, the other one I will replace due
to rusted frame and bad crack.

Had to replace one of the 12V batteries.

At highway speeds (55), as the truck bounces along the smooth ole
highway, I hear a high-pitched whine, which accompanies the rhythm of
the bouncing, that is:

bounce-bounce-bounce
sing-sing-sing

I don't know what this is. Seems most noticeable when vehicle is hot
after driving a while.

Brakes, suspension, front end, exhaust, and drivetrain seem to not have
been rebuilt, but are in good shape.
The only nagging issue is a rear axle leak which I am going to deal with
shortly thanks to all the great advice here.