Re: [MV] Fuel economy....I don't understand

From: J. Forster (jfor@quik.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 14:25:37 PDT

Amazingly, I got about 5.9 mpg on both fillups! Some hills, I actually had to
crawl up in 2nd gear (normal starting gear), and many I had to creep up in 3rd
or 4th at 20-30 mph.

> I don't quite understand how I could almost double the GVW and only loose
> about 10% of my fuel mileage. The trip was quite hilly across NH and 20 miles
> into VT.
>
> Corn-fused
>
> Steve AKA Dr Deuce

Fuel goes into several things:

Engine and transmission losses which increase with increasing RPMs
Rolling friction depends on tires and inflation
Air resistance increases very rapidly with increasing speed
Potential energy (climbing hills) which is partly recoverable as you go
downhill, if you don't break a lot. (Energy that goes into breaking heat is
lost.)

Your tow was likely in the draft of the MV, and didn't add much air drag. Ever
seen a cyclist behind an 18 wheeler?
Your slow driving reduced many of the losses.

I have a MPG indicator on my car and the MPG decreases rapidly as the vehicle
speeds up.

-John