bolts stretching

From: Everette (194cbteng@pchnet.com)
Date: Sun Sep 22 2002 - 19:01:55 PDT

The same goes for studs in block, I replaced head gasket on flat head Willys
twice before I got smart and put in new studs/bolts, cured it.

Before I replaced bolts and studs I torqued head down, waited 12 hours and
checked they were loose - retorqued, checked in 8 hours had stretched again.

Unless I am mistaken Cummings says every time heads are off put new bolts
back in.

Many years ago I was store manager at John Deere dealership and we got
service bulliten to go to a series of tractors and drain oil, pull pan,
replace rod bolts, were not tempered correctly, would stretch and cause
engine failure.

I have also been told that not only heat but vibrations will change makeup
of steel in bolts.

Everette