24 to 12 volt chopper

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 05:48:19 PDT

Good morning,

What if someone, me, made a LOW POWER 24V to 12V converter, say 50W, enough
for a car radio or something like that? If one is not enough, get two.

I have plenty of anodized aluminum cases left from my turnsignal buzzer
project and could put together some 5 Amp series type regulator units for
about $50.00/ea.
They would be waterproof (encapsulated), black, supplied with "rubber"
connectors(M35 style) and short circuit protected. Size would be about like
two cigarett packs stacked on top of each other.

Series type regulators, in this case, when dropping 24-35 volts down to 12
volts would dissipate as much power as is being used, so they can get hot
and must be mounted on a firewall or bulkhead to allow heat to dissipate
safely. When no power is used, they are cold.
On the other hand, they do not emit high frequency noises, which can be a
problem with "chopper" style DC-DC supplies, that are not properly shielded
and filtered.

To check out the turnsignal buzzer, go to:

http://www.mayapplebrandstedt.com/maybrand4.html

Thanks,

Bjorn
MVPA 19212