Re: [MV] 12V trailer brakes from 24V system

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Wed Sep 25 2002 - 05:54:07 PDT

I am in the process of installing trailer brakes and lights on my M35 right
now. I bought a 24v to 12v transformer from the John Deer dealer. I wish
now I had looked into one of these "choppers", but I've already installed
the transformer in my "12 volt control center". Don't that sound high tech.
Anyway my transformer is only rated at 10 amps, so it can handle the lights,
my cell phone plug and another small thing or two. I have not decided how I
am going to use my brake box yet.

The point to this posting is this. I bought several 24 volt relays from
velvac. I plan to use these for my lights and for the "brake" part of my
brake box. In other words I plan to tap into the brake light on the truck
and use this relay to send 12 volts to my brake box. I plan to tap into
each of the 3 wires for the trailer lights, tail - left turn- right turn,
and use these to energize the relays and send 12 volts to the respective
trailer lights. I don't know how well the relays will hold up to the
constant making and breaking of the turn signals, but at $6 dollars a piece
I'm willing to experiment. I will put a master kill switch on the relays so
they wont work when I'm not pulling a trailer.

The trailer brakes are not the issue they were a few days ago with me. With
working truck brakes I wont have as much trouble stopping.

I'll update you folks as progress dictates. I'm going to pull a piece of
equipment from Columbia to Charleston (SC) in a few weeks and that's what's
got me humping on all this. We are going to use my deuce to pull a huge
grinder from the barge to the island for a job my brother is doing. We need
a lot of low geared rubber power to pull the grinder on the steel ramp of
the barge. No I'm not pulling the 20 ton grinder to Charleston, just from
the barge to the Island. I know the deuce will never have the power or the
suspension to pull that much weight more than 5 mph.

Really going to work this time,
Joe Trapp