Re: [MV] M35 Wheel seals

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 20:38:33 PDT

I just bought inner and outer seals, cork inserts, and locknuts from Memphis. They shipped them fedex for a.m. delivery next day to my mechanic!

No leak so far. Drove the truck about 100 miles all around town and on the highways. As long as there is no leak, I'm happy. One note - the cork seals - the cross section is rectangular. They fit
the keyway whe oriented with the wide dimension as the top and bottom. I squirted some red RTV on the insert, and the tech. tighened and properly adjusted the inner nut, then we squirtled more red
silicon in the groove, put the lockwasher on, and the outer nut.

--> A big thank you (and this means especially you Ron) to everyone who has helped me understand this leak issue alot better. I had to advise the tech. who was doing the work about the order of
assembly and the cork etc, since he had never done one of these. In all other ways, he knew exactly what he was doing. Watching him pack the bearings by hand brought back fine memories of my own
bearing packing days.

One recommendation: if you have back/neck injuries like me, and thus have to get someone else to do the heavy work, be sure to have your parts with you when you go. Expecting a diesel shop to find the
seals and cork locally, or at Memphis' price, is only a dream.

Pics of the job being done, as well as repeats of some of the posts of information on this, are at:
http://208.190.133.201/deuce_and_a_half/m35_axle_seals.html

comments welcome.

Patrick
(previously OPCOM, but that e-mail server died, so I am ECCM now.)