Re: [MV] 12v from 24volt, low tech way

From: Patrick Jankowiak (eccm@swbell.net)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 16:05:08 PDT

I also forgot that the system charging voltage is probably more like 27.5VDC when the engine is running.

Well it is a start, and the idea was to do a slow charge based on the current going to zero at the desired voltage-limit. Maybe the resistance values and ratio could be shifted a bit? Hmm.

In any case, when the MV is running, you will get 28VDC at the switch, so the midpoint after the diode would be at 13.4V with no charging load (voltage limited charging). The problem is that without a
regulared something or another, or making the resistors lower in resistance (and thereby a bigger drain on the MV charging system) it would be likely to overcharge the 12V batery.

So go one step up to slightly higher tech:

Assuming 27.5VDC from the alternator, I was going to suggest a 13V 50 or 100 watt zener diode in place of the top resistor, to give 14.5V for charging.

(change the zener or add some silicon rectifiers at 0.6V each to reduce the voltage from 14.5 to whatever voltage you want the ultimate battery voltage to be when you stop the charging current)

Put a resistor in series with the zener, to limit the charge current. Assuming you want to charge with 14V, and the battery you use is fully charged at 12.7V:

            zener diode rectifier 3 ohms resistor
                   __

                     | /| |\ |
27.5V----------------|< |---| >|___/\/\/\/\/\_____> 12V batt
                     | \| |/ |
                     |__ charging: 13.9V / 0A
                                 | 12.7V / 0.4A
                          | | 11.9V / 0.6A
                          | 13.9V
                         14.5V

with a 1 ohm resistor,
13.9V / 0A
12.7V / 1.2A
11.9V / 2.0A

with no resistor? it would probably work fine, seeing as the wiring resitance is going to be a fraction of an ohm?

The considerations for the power ratings of the zener diode become considerable anyway. I am no expert on this, but I have done things like this by experiment.