Re: [MV] best tank museum

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 18:48:57 PDT

Hi Jack,

>Question. What is the best public tank museum in the world? I'm thinking
>I owe myself a little trip.

The two best out there are probably:

The Tank Museum - Bovington Camp, England (look for the town of Wool)
Samur Museum - ?, France

I have been to The Tank Museum and it is excellent. Samur I have not
been to, but its collection apparently is in some ways a notch up from
The Tank Museum. No other museum rivals either. However, Jaques
Littlefield's collection outside of San Francisco in some ways beats them
both. Not a public museum in the strictest sense though.

The Bundeswehr have an excellent museum in Koblenz, which includes a
running Panther, Sturmtiger, and what is undoubtably the most complete
collection of WWII German small arms in the world. The Patton Museum at
Ft Knox, KY is a fantastic place to go too. Aberdeen has an extensive
collection of vehilcles, but if neglect bothers you do NOT go there (I
was totally depressed when I went).

That's about all I can add to the subject.

Steve