Re: [MV] M35 oil pressure at startup

From: Buzzard (Buzz@ebuzzard.com)
Date: Fri Oct 04 2002 - 06:00:16 PDT

the start up proceedure for the M35 specifically states that you are not
supposed to load the motor till the oil pressure comes up. I'm not sure
what the exact words were but there is a specific period that the motor
is supposed to 'warm up' before it is used. I can't imagine that there
would be any probllem if this proceedure is followed unless the truck
hasn't been started in a long time. There will be some oil in the
bearings and that should be enough to get the motor going till it is up
to speed.

Doug Trader wrote:

> Date: Fri, 4 Oct 2002 05:06:10 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Doug Trader <thomasdtrader@yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [MV] M35 oil pressure at startup
>
> Without knowing the start up proceedure for an m35 i
> will mention that this problem is a serious concern
> for racers. The solution is to crank the motor
> without the ignition switch on until the oil pressure
> gauge begins to move. Then the ignition switch is
> turned on, and the motor fired. I don't know what a
> pre-oiler costs but you can accomplish the same thing
> with a jumper switch on your starter. Afterall the
> real concern is how long will the motor be running
> before the oil gets to the journals and bearings.
>
> hope this helps
>
> doug
>

> --- ddoyle9570@aol.com wrote:
>> What you have described is a normal situation, but
>> also the very reason not to race the engine until
>> pressure comes up, ESPECIALLY a turbo charged
>> engine.
>>
>> The operators manual, at least the early multifuel
>> manuals, advise that when starting the engine, pull
>> the engine stop handle out, and revolve the engine
>> (It can't start in this state). The stated reason
>> is to check for hydrostatic lock. However, I can't
>> help but think that the starter motor spinning the
>> engine and operating the oil pump would help
>> alleviate some of the dry bearing/cylinder
>> condition. And of course this starter is much slower
>> than the idle speed of the engine. And yes, cranking
>> the engine like this does move the oil pressure
>> gauge.
>>
>> This is not a reflection of anyone on this list, but
>> it seems to me that the advances in automobile
>> manufacture is such that today's vehicles do much of
>> the thinking for the operator (Indeed, they are so
>> sophisticated they HAVE to do the thinking, 'cause I
>> certainly don't understand/can't diagnose/fix one,
>> nor can many dealers without expense test
>> equipment). The multifuel deuce is late
>> fifties/early sixties technology, regardless of
>> built date. And even then it was an update of a
>> 1949 design.
>>
>> The manuals have evolved much like the auto
>> industry. The earliest are written along the line
>> of....."if this n such breaks, here's how you fix
-=-