Fuel Question Diesel vs jp-8

From: Cliff Smith (mtnbikinssgt@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Oct 05 2002 - 19:45:07 PDT

List;

Question just hit me.  The Marines (and the armed services) are moving to a new fuel, and have been for about a year.  The fuel is JP-8.  The only change to using this new fuel is changing fuel filters that are clogged with the old diesel sludge.  I have heard that this is a long term problem, as a result of NO lube in the fuel of a diesel engine.  Most of the old timer mechanics (not military) have said that in a few years we will be replacing engines due to burnt internal items.  There was a post earlier about BioFuel, can this equate to the same thing?  How about Aviation fuel, is it compatable with the diesel engine.  I have heard many types of 'homegrown' fuels and additives to be able to do this, like adding a qt or 2 of dexron to some fuel to make it 'lube' the engine still.  All of you Fuelies out there give us some advice on this.  Can diesel be replaced with a better fuel?  Is it worth the hassle? Or should we just be happy with our Military diesel trucks ?

Cliff Smith
'70 Tan USMC M151A2