Re: [MV] Idea - Military Only Zone

From: ddoyle9570@aol.com
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 19:19:50 PDT

Jack,
When I have a camera in my hand....I wish shows would be much as you describe....all the MV's in one place, all the other stuff somewhere else. But in my local area, at least, we have had the problem with further splintering, and the hobby has lost some real good guys because of it.

In the last 15 minutes I got an invitation to participate in a MV convoy, BUT the vehicles must be only WWII, and you must be in WWII uniform to participate. That is the organizers decision, but I won't be there. My long green line of M series trucks will be at the house.

Locally a few years ago, a guy was thrown out of an display because he drove his WWII Jeep wearing a Hawaiian shirt. Another guy was asked to remove his vehicles, because they are not WWII. Another fellow was told not to haul his wife and kids in the vehicle because it did not look authentic. Some other guys were told to move their WWII German motorcycle and armored car, because they weren't US. A fellow was asked to take his M62 and leave a picnic because he wasn't wearing a uniform. For some reason most of these guys haven't been back, and a couple of them even sold their vehicle. The guy driving the M62 suggested that if the speaker felt he could change my, ahem, I mean the driver's clothes, before I could crank the R6602 and push his vehicle out of the way to bring along the wardrobe and try. I am too stubborn to so easily be chased out of a hobby.

All of these things were at military vehicle displays, NOT re enactments. Re enactments are a whole different deal in my opinion...since it is a recreation of an EVENT, not a display.

Anyhow, my point is.....it is very, very easy once you start banning things for it to get out of hand. While YOU may be aware and sensitive to this, the next guy may not be and may rule with iron fist.

Is it neat to see a sea of green vehicles? You bet, but to me, it is neater to see some green vehicles, and wives, girlfriends, children all enjoying the hobby TOGETHER. Picnicking off the table they bought at Walmart today, and hauled in their Saturn and parked next to the CCKW.

Regards,
David Doyle