Re: [MV] Idea - Military Only Zone

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 20:45:38 PDT

Woodsons Bridge was one of the best ever the only hitch was a few site
reservation mess ups but all went very well. (I can say That because I have
been to everyone of the Woodson Bridge meets).
Twenty five years ago we had what was known as the Waffen hole at Patterson
it was well organized by a few involved members collecting Axis gear and
axis vehicles at that time the MVCC/MVCCSC had many people who would show up
and camp in wall tents and wear the period gear that went with there
vehicles it was not always in a organized group display but you could stroll
through camp and see the different encampments and it was fun. In the last
twelve years there has been a "this is your club if you want it to happen
make it happen" stance by the elected VP's and elected President Kurt Lesser
this is directly related to the growth in membership and the fact that some
of the original very active members have passed away and or left the club
and very few members will step up and fill in the ranks. There is absolutely
no way Kurt or the VP's can put together this stuff for you in a club the
size of the MVCC what they have said time and time again is please go ahead
make it happen that's a great idea.
 I have tried to stay very involved in the club I go to as many outings and
help when ever possible. I have volunteered for the second convention staff
to assist with the MVPA 2003 Convention (At the USS Hornet) in California in
ten years and thanks to the hard working officers of our club and a hand
full of dedicated involved people like myself it will be the best convention
the MVPA has ever had on one of the largest Military vehicles ever.
I for one think it is a great Idea if people want to get together and paint
some white rocks put up a flag pole and gather the Tents and trucks in motor
pool inspection formation but it is not going to happen by talking about it
or wishing it would happen or even thinking someone else will do it for you
if you want it to happen organize it get the roster get your friends but
first get off your butt and get involved and make it happen.
It is amazing what can happen if you get involved but I guarantee nothing
will happen if you just take a back seat and wait for someone else to do it
for you.
As far as the Good Sam club vehicles that shows up with an MB or GPW in tow
they pay there dues and have done some outstanding restoration work (anybody
notice the Navy Jeep) some are even officers of the club and have been doing
the same thankless job for you for forty five years.
Get Involved Make it happen Big Bear is next.......
By the way I thought this years Jeep Gathering was one of the best and I
really enjoyed watching them driving around even if they camped in silver
dome tents and wore shorts and thongs it was great to see them come out and
get involved thank you from a WW2 Dodge nut.
See you at the 2003 MVPA Convention in California.....

Dave Ball
MVCC
MVPA 9377