Re: [MV] Idea - Military Only Zone

From: Steve Grammont (islander@midmaine.com)
Date: Sun Oct 06 2002 - 22:26:41 PDT

Hello David,

>Be careful with the "big" :)

I should have said "big and not in any way a MV" :-) I think it would be
just fine to have something like a M109 (no, not the wheeled kind!!)
smack dab in the MV area. The guy with the Airborne scooter next to it
can bite me if he doesn't like it! LOL!!

>Isn't it though.....just the other day saw a real nice ton and a half
>Chevy, very complete and original....not shown at shows and events
>because it is unrestored, still wearing the yellow paint it wore as a
>work truck for 40 years. I was glad I got to see one, period.

It is a fine line for sure. What about a vehicle that is mostly
complete, in original paint, in running condition, but has a decent
amount of rust and some large dents in it? The way I look at it, the
guys with the 99.9% restored to original everything vehicles should
WELCOME such displays because it makes people appreciate their great
vehicles all the more.

>A buddy of mine has a CCKW-352 closed cab with winch and ring
>mount....straight from Norwegian army. Last painted by them probably 20
>years ago....a solid, old, authentic army truck...but not restored, where
>do we put it.
>
>One must be very, very careful, or it becomes a one man show.

Yup. One of my Weasels is being restored as it looked in the Norwegian
Army (which is where that particular one came from). Should I get points
taken off for not having it reverted back to US Army specs?

Personally, I love seeing the unusual stuff even if it doesn't look like
it just rolled off the factory floor. I might get flamed for saying so,
but I tend to walk right by all the perfectly restored MBs and home in on
the vehicle just beyond it that at first glance I don't know what it is.
 Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Jeep type vehicles (MBs,
M38s, M151s, etc.), they just aren't why I go to MV shows. Mind you, I
eventually get back and look at them with as much appreciation as I do
any other MV brought back from the brink of death!

Steve