RE: [MV] Reenactors have no right!!! unless they were there

From: HOWARD WRIGHT (dvsww2@mindspring.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 15:33:45 PDT

Dave, as a veteran reenactor, I have to take exception to some of your
comments. Let me say that I am not a Veteran having only missed being
inducted as I could not pass the physical. I lost some close friends over
there who didn't come back. My father was a WWII Vet who is now deceased.
I can tell you this that I understand more of the sacrifices that my Dad
and his buddies, people on the homefront gave in order to give respect for
those who fought to keep us free. I think you feel the terror and concern
that our forefather's had when you see a whole street of Germans armed and
coming after you, Most WWII vets that I've met were quite happy with our
impressions and are just plain amazed why we would spend the time gathering
up field gear from dusty garages and basements to do it authentically and
correct. I think the tale of the tape is when they want their picture taken
with them and their families, or will bring their grandchildren or great
grand children to see a display. We collect MV's also and although we don't
strive for a 100% show car appearance as ours are used and used hard in the
field. My 45 GPW has been converted to 12 volts and is a good runner with a
CJ engine. We are still an MV collector and deserve some respect within
the hobby. In the past we've had some MV owners try reenacting and enjoy
it. One guy with a Halftrack had a ball hauling troops and fording a
creek. He said it was more fun than being in a parade. I hope I can
continue to reenact WWII so the Veterans like my Dad won't be forgotten.
The schools sure won't teach it, Will You? Respectfully, Howard Wright,
325th GIR 82nd AB, TSG I.O.N. Chapter, IMPVA