RE: [MV] M35 axle leaking again!

From: Horrocks, Aaron (ACHb@pge.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 07:17:16 PDT

Well, after rebuilding everything on my jeep, I still had the transmission
leaking, and the rear axel. I had already replaced the seals, and thought
maybe something was wrong with the newer seals. taking the yoke off the
tranny (well, transfer case, the yoke to the front axel) I found the
replacement seal was perfect, but years of wear and tear had put a very
small grove into the metal that the seal rubbed up against. I got an NOS
yoke, replaced it, and it completely stopped that leak.

Just this weekend I removed the yoke to the rear axel to find the same
problem to a lesser degree - the part where the seal meets metal wore a
grove ad the oil is leaking out of it!

So, it may not be the seal - but what the seal meets up with!
Later,

Aaron Horrocks
1952 M38A1