Re: [MV] single wheel duece

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 16:04:54 PST

Neil,
You are right in that the number of tires does not effect the traction,
however, there is a loss of weight due to fewer tires even if it happens to
be unsprung weight and those 300 lbs will reduce the vehicle's ability to
transfer the engine torque to the ground by a "slight" amount. To increase
traction, just load the vehicle.
I have experienced this first hand by driving the same trails with duals and
with singles and one particular case where the 300 lbs made a big difference
was backing uphill. It was necessary to engage front wheel drive with the
singles.
For further reference I may suggest TM 9-8000, the section on wheeled
vehicle performance. The formula for drawbar pull is the tractive factor
multiplied by the weight on the powered wheels. The "tractive factor"
relates to condition of the surface etc.

Bjorn