Tire safety

From: Mike Pilcher (candlewickjeep2@webtv.net)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 07:15:33 PST

I don't think I've ever seen this brought up on the list before. It has
been my experience both with my own vehicles and in observing other MV
owner's vehicles that dry rotting of our tires is a common thing. To
this day I've always been told that with the muli-ply military tires
the rot isn't a problem SAFETYWISE. "Other than looking like crud
they're safe." I'm not real comfortable with this. I've seen tires that
are discolored, some that are "crinkled", and some that are actually
separated due to rot. They're being used to drive at regular (MV wise)
speeds.

We've discussed what causes dry rot. We've discussed how to prevent dry
rot.
We've discussed even how to mask dry rot.

But just how safe are dry rotted tires?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Mike Pilcher