Re: [MV] Insuring a Mil-Veh

From: micdunn (micdunn@ev1.net)
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 09:08:18 PST

Okay List, I had to get in on this subject.
I just registered my M35 in Texas as a "Former Military Vehicle". The
registration cost is $10 a year and I did have to supply a photo to the
Texas DOT. They gave me the choice of having a Former Military Vehicle plate
issued, which would have a number something like FM-0035. I chose the other
option which was to stencil the military markings back on the vehicle in at
least 2" high letters. I stenciled 72K32 on the front and rear in 4"
letters, co-incidentally the same numbers that were on 'my' first military
deuce. I am only allowed to drive the vehicle to special events or on
special occasions. Every time I drive it, it is a special occasion.
Insurance.
I am insured with Nationwide for $42 a year. That's not a typo, I said $42 a
year. They do not require it to be garaged and they did not want a photo.
They did want a letter stating that it was A) an antique, and B)
collectible. The law in Texas is that if it is over 25 years old, it is an
antique. To satisfy the collectible criteria, our local MVPA president wrote
a letter saying that it is collectible. He left out the part about some
people like to collect rust.
There really are some good things about living in Texas. I was honored to
drive in the Veteran's Day Parade on Monday with a collection of disabled
veteran's in the back of the deuce. I followed the Texas Association of
Vietnam Veterans (who were on foot) all the way to the State Capitol. A lot
of the spectators were carrying placards with simply 'THANK YOU' written on
them. Now I'm starting to choke up, so I'll end this letter...
-Sarge