[MV] Insuring a Mil-Veh

From: Paul A. Thomas (bluewhale@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Mon Nov 11 2002 - 11:59:42 PST

I do appreciate all of the names and numbers sent in over the past half
year regarding companies which provide insurance for MV's. However not one
of them will insure a 'collectors' vehicle unless it is 80% restored or
better, and ALL of them require that it be garaged in a wood or steel
garage. Some of their web sites say ' usually a garage is required'
: maybe I live in a bad part of the country <g>.

Is anyone aware of a company which insures rolling restoration
projects? I'm looking for Liability when on the road... MAYBE Comp if I
can find/afford it.

I've considered keeping my lips slammed shut instead of offering
information, however it doesn't work.
1: I hate lying or not being up front
2: They always want a photo from each side. If I don't mention it they
will call and ask ' I say sir, is that a
      fire truck welded onto your REO?? '

Come to think of it, with a little work I could get it to the 80%
level: most of what it needs is just paint and maintenance, and a lack of
maintenance would not show in a photo. However the ' garage ' issue is a
killer. My new Santa Fe would barely fit into my one car garage: the REO
is out.

If anyone knows of a company or agent which provides coverage for MV's
without a garage, please let us know ( I say 'us' because I can NOT be the
only one in the country with a project to finish up. Can I? )

Many Thanks for any tips

        Paul
        '53 REO M35 Fire Conversion
        '53 AEC Chevy 3/4 Ton