Re: [MV] CUCVs and M1010s and the Bonneville Land Speed Record

From: GOTAM35 (gotam35@sc.rr.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 06:11:34 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ronzo" <rojoha@attbi.com>

> 6) The manual says 55 as max speed, and the way the engine howls at
that
> speed, I believe it. I have been told if I wish to go faster than that, I
> should bring a shovel,a broom and several boxes to put the pieces in.
> Anecdotal comments? Real life experience? 'There I was...' service
stories?

> The truck is such a cream puff that I would like it to become a daily
> driver. However I find it a bit disconcerting to have to spend more time
> watching the mirrors to avoid being run down by over taking traffic than
> watching the rapidly receding traffic in front of me. Hell, I was passed
by
> a Murry lawn tractor yesterday, and it WASN'T on a trailer.... The local
> school crossing guard doesn't even bother to hold up the STOP sign when
the
> kids are in the crosswalk and he sees me coming up the road.
>
> Ronzo

Makes you wonder how we ever lived with the Nation wide 55 mph speed limit
years ago. We are all so used to driving 80 mph that 55 is crawling.

I have learned to live with the 55 top speed. It kind of helps me relax. I
notice little things now like how long the white lines that separate the
lanes on the interstate are. I can count to 5 from one end to the next. It
also lets me take the slow route through the country and not feel like I am
wasting time, because I'm at top speed, can't go any faster.

Embrace your limits and become one with the truck. Get a book on CD to help
pass the time. Practice whistling that little song from "The bridge on the
river Kwai".

One important warning. Make a mental note of rest stops, gas stations and
so forth because you will have to stop for a bathroom break every 50 miles
or so.

Joe Trapp