Re: [MV] Nice toys on Ebay

From: Dave Ball (vought@msn.com)
Date: Tue Nov 26 2002 - 12:09:10 PST

 As an investment the M18 is the deal also quite rare. On the other hand the
M20 without seeing it looks in better shape but is not near as rare.
The engine in the M18 is the very reliable Wright R975 it is of aircraft
design used in Stearmans and Lockheed 10's (Amelia Earharts's plane) and
many other applications many are flying today, parts are plentiful and they
are easily restored. This tank has the 76mm gun which dates it to about
1943.
The M18 was very successful against Tigers and Panther with the 630th tank
destroyer battalion knocking out 53 German tanks and losing only 17 M18's in
1944 the M18 is a very up to date design for the time having torsion bar
suspension and center guided track as well as a low silhouette and well a
sloped hull and an automatic transmission. It was built by GMC at the Buick
plant.
This is a great piece of American history imagine yourself flanking a Tiger
and calling for an AP round and positioning your tank to fire on that Tiger
I think most would agree this tank deserves a good home and to be restored
to its former glory wearing the 630th markings as a tribute to those men in
those 17 tanks who gave everything they had.
The cost might be high 15K to do this but it is a 15K well spent.

Dave Ball