Re: [MV] M35 Manifold heater test & poor cold starting

From: Bjorn Brandstedt (super_deuce@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 06:34:04 PST

It's about 28 deg F here at the moment in the Virginia's Blue Ridge
Mountains.
I have been interested in the workings of the "flame heater" for some time
and all these postings made me curious about my own system. Just taped a
thermocouple to the intake manifold and started the engine. The temperature
on the surface of the housing directly in front of the flame heater nozzle
read 27.8 before cranking. When the engine was cranked along with the flame
heater switch in "on" position there was absolutely no change in the
temperature. It should have jumped if the heater was working, the housing is
aluminum and should conduct heat very rapidly. The engine started after
about ten seconds of cranking with the flame heater turned on, but
apparently not working.

Now I'm planning to install a thermocouple sensor permanently to monitor the
flame heater. I'll wait for warmer weather, but will let you know the
results.
Cheers,
Bjorn
MVPA 19212