Re: [MV] M35 Manifold heater test & poor cold starting

From: jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Date: Wed Dec 04 2002 - 06:51:03 PST

>It's about 28 deg F here at the moment in the Virginia's Blue Ridge
>Mountains.
>I have been interested in the workings of the "flame heater" for some time
>and all these postings made me curious about my own system. Just taped a
>thermocouple to the intake manifold and started the engine. The temperature
>on the surface of the housing directly in front of the flame heater nozzle
>read 27.8 before cranking. When the engine was cranked along with the flame
>heater switch in "on" position there was absolutely no change in the
>temperature. It should have jumped if the heater was working, the housing is
>aluminum and should conduct heat very rapidly. The engine started after
>about ten seconds of cranking with the flame heater turned on, but
>apparently not working.

I have a flame primer on two other engines, the simpler type not the overly
complex mil unit. I know it's not easy on a deuce but I take off the
connection at the turbo compressor discharge and look up into the intake
tube. Have someone run the flame primer and start the engine, you can
clearly see an orange flame comming out of the little injector thing.

Seems to me there are two things you can test without having to do the above
however. You know there is a fuel sorce (pump) and an ignition source. So
take out the little spark plug and try running the primer to see if it
sparks. Then take out the injector nozzle and run it again and see if
anything squirts out. Or perhaps you just have air in that system that needs
to be bleed out. I noticed on my M35's injection pump (the main pump not
the little electric one for the primer) that the plastic tube that comes out
of the pump to feed the flame primer system is kinked closed. Since I don't
drive the thing in the winter I never bothered to fix it but I presume that
mine would not work right now because of that.

later,

je