Re: [MV] Mule Paint Question

From: Keith Byrd (byrdhouse@netease.net)
Date: Thu Dec 05 2002 - 00:58:52 PST

It depends on what unit markings you go with or who the end user was. The
mules were acquired from U.S. Army ordnance then painted with USMC colors.
That is why there are the two shades of paint. I have some parts mules that
came from USMC that were painted in woodland camo pattern. I never saw a
U.S.Army mule painted anything but solid OD with black lettering. The USMC
mules usually had black stenciled markings or stick on yellow lettering. I
have found that if it was a USMC mule with solid OD color they used stick on
yellow letters and black stenciled letters if it was in camo. The USMC also
never upgraded with the fenders, wide wheels and tires, electric start and
alternator like the Army did in the late 70's. At least I've never seen one.
 I also have a picture of a mule from a 1958 Leatherneck magazine with both
U.S.Army and USMC markings and registration numbers on it. Wonder how that
one slipped through?

What model is yours? Who was the manf.?